Friday, July 18, 2014

It was three years ago that my siblings and I were beginning to have the conversation about how long Mom could remain on her own. In three months, we will have the third anniversary of her moving into our home. In some ways it has gone quickly--everything seems to go quickly anymore. My youngest was not quite two. My oldest didn't even have a driver's license. Now my oldest has finished his first year of college, and my youngest is getting ready for preschool.

As the children have changed so has my mom.

I've felt that we have handled things pretty well and even have fallen into a pretty workable routine. I know that the situation hasn't been easy on my husband. I am realizing more and more, however, the mental toll that it has taken on him and the stress that has been placed on our marriage.

Be careful is my warning. Be aware of even the subtle changes and stresses that being a full time caregiver has on everyone in the family. I try not to require very much from others in my family as far as the daily care of my mom, but just losing part of me to her and losing a great deal of spontaneity in my life has been a trial, especially for my husband.

Be Careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment